Frequently Asked Questions
What is 12by12by12SM?
Starting on Feb 12, 2017, 12by12by12SM (a public charity) is hosting a year-round online giving campaign designed to garner donations for nonprofit organizations that are working at the national and grassroots level on important issues of concern to Americans. This campaign embraces all donors who share a concern for these issues and the values that they embody regardless of differences in age, gender, race/ethnicity, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, political affiliation or faith. It is a nonpolitical and nonpartisan campaign. If you have any questions, please contact us at: [email protected]
How does it work?
Prospective donors may make secure donations to one or more nonprofit organizations that are profiled on the website. They can choose to give a single gift of $12 (or more) to one of the nonprofits. They can also choose to give multiple gifts to a variety of organizations, or sign up for monthly gifts to one or more of these organizations. The minimum donation is $12 and there is no maximum; in keeping with the 12 theme, gifts in multiples of $12 are most welcome.
We hope you’ll feel the exponential impact of giving collectively. Your gift, which may feel small, when joined with the gifts of others, will be inspiring. We hope you’ll feel great when you see how much is being contributed to the causes you care about. The real-time giving totals on the site is a great tool for making modest gifts feel more powerful and meaningful.
When will the 12by12by12SM campaign take place?
We expect to launch the campaign on Lincoln’s Birthday, February 12, 2017 although as it is being built, the website at www.give12now.org will be able to accept gifts in advance. The site will be launched even though the number of nonprofits in each of the categories is not yet complete. Thereafter we will continue adding organizations to the issue areas until we reach 12 per category.
Thereafter, we will continue adding organizations to the issue areas and each month (leading up to the 12th), we will feature one of the issue areas and put the spotlight on participating organizations and their work in those areas. The website will be permanently available to donors 24/7/365.
Why give through 12by12by12SM?
- Multiply the power of your charitable giving by joining forces with others who care about the causes you care about. And at any time (24/7/365) you can check the giving totals to see how your organizations are doing.
- You'll have the satisfaction of joining a community of people who share many of your same values and concerns about America's future.
- You'll learn about organizations and their great work that you've never heard of before. Maybe you will decide to give them a gift immediately or put them on your giving list for the future. You might also want to tell others about their important work.
- $12 is an easy amount for most people to give once a month; if you can give more, this website can accommodate multiple and/or larger gifts.
- The technology makes it possible for you to easily give more than one donation in one transaction. You can sign up for monthly recurring donations for your selected nonprofit or give in honor or in memory of someone.
- You will have the opportunity to establish a direct relationship with the organization(s) you support through 12by12by12SM or choose to give anonymously. If you allow us to share your information, you will start receiving online communications like newsletters, news flashes and action alerts that will keep you informed about their victories and accomplishments as well as new ideas. You may opt out at any time.
- If there's a 501(c)(3) organization that you think we've overlooked here that should be included, you can forward your suggestion anytime to us. Thanks in advance.
How do I give through 12by12by12SM?
Go to www.give12now.org anytime. Use your credit or debit card (Mastercard, Visa, or American Express, or Discover) to make a gift of $12 or more to one or more participating nonprofits. You may give multiple times, or to multiple nonprofits—the sky’s the limit!
Please note that your credit or debit card statement will reflect a charge to 12by12by12(SM), not the name of the organization(s) you support. By collecting the donations from all the donors, 12by12by12 (SM) will be able to send the total gifts each month to the participating nonprofits.
Which nonprofit organizations are participating? How do I know they are legitimate?
Thousands of 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations serve our nation. To find out which are participating in 12by12by12(SM), search for individual nonprofits or browse the profiles at www.Give12now.org . Profiles of participating nonprofits will be searchable by name and issue area (such as Diversity, Equity and Inclusion or Environment). The website will feature a leaderboard tallying gifts in real-time so donors and nonprofits alike can see who has received the most gifts and which groups have raised the most money to support the important work they do.
12by12by12(SM) assures donors that participating organizations are valid 501(c)(3) public charities with an IRS letter of determination and are in compliance with IRS 990 requirements. Organizations and programs operated with religious intent, mission and purpose are eligible to participate only if:
- 100% of the gifts generated through 12by12by12(SM) are used for non-religious programs, services and activities (for example, a public education program). Programs to be funded with donations will be described in the organizational profile so you’ll know about their plans when you make your decision to give.
- The organization allows individuals to benefit from the specified program, service or activity without discrimination on the basis of religion, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, veteran, or disability status.
If there's a 501(c)(3) organization that you think we've overlooked here that you’d recommend for participation, you can forward your suggestion anytime to us at [email protected].
Can I give to more than one organization?
Yes—and we hope you will! You may make multiple donations through individual transactions or through a multiple donation form. The multiple donation form—which is easy to access on the home page at www.Give12now.org—allows you to make donations to more than one nonprofit in a single transaction.
Beyond a donation, what else can I do to support my favorite nonprofit?
Please spread the word among your friends, family and network about 12by12by12(SM) and the good work of nonprofits across the country. One of the best ways to help will be to use email and social media such as Facebook and Twitter let people know you are giving and encourage others to do the same. The organization you support may have a volunteer role that you can fill as well, so we suggest that you check their website for such opportunities.
How will I be recognized as a donor?
You will receive an immediate thank you and tax receipt via email. The nonprofits you support through 12by12by12(SM) are encouraged to also thank you and let you know how your donations are making a difference in support of their work.
You may choose to donate anonymously. Anonymous donors will receive a thank you and tax receipt, but to maintain anonymity your identity will not be revealed to the nonprofit organizations you support through 12by12by12(SM).
Is my donation tax deductible?
Donations are tax deductible. Once you make a donation, you will immediately receive an email confirming your tax-deductible gift. Please save the email for your records for tax purposes. If you need a duplicate of this receipt, you may request one at www.Give12now.org.
How much of my donation goes to the nonprofits I select? Will I pay any fees?
The nonprofits you contribute to will receive more than 92% of the donation amount to put toward their mission and programs. We must pay credit card processing fees (typical fees charged on all online transactions, not unique to 12by12by12SM), a fee to the provider of the online giving platform, and 3% for processing of the gifts, disbursing funds and promoting this effort. Donors will be given the option of increasing their donations in order to cover these fees; many do so gladly. If you are able to do so, please know how grateful the participating organizations are for your help in stretching your donations further.
Can I make a donation using my tablet or smart phone?
Yes. It will be easy to make a gift on www.Give12now.org using your tablet or smart phone, as well as a computer.
Is my gift safe and secure?
Yes. The website is powered by Kimbia and is a secure PCI-Level 1 compliant site for donating to your selected charities. You can be sure that your personal information is protected when you donate through the 12by12by12(SM) website.